WHAT IS DERMAPLANING?
Dermaplaning is a simple and safe procedure for exfoliating the epidermis and ridding the skin of fine, vellus hair (sometimes known as peach fuzz). It has been used for many years and has recently became popular as a celebrity must have treatment.
Dermaplaning is a quick procedure with few to no adverse effects, it has quickly gained popularity among cosmetic medical providers across the world. Using a scalpel and a delicate touch, your therapist simply abrades the surface of the skin using light feathering strokes.
This is a great treatment if you are pregnant or nursing and want a deep exfoliation, as chemical peeling agents on the skin are not allowed to be used at this time. It is also a first choice for those who have excess vellus hair on the skin. This hair often causes a buildup of dirt and oils in the follicles, so removing the hair gives a healthier looking skin.
Although merely an old wives’ tale, many people are often concerned that the hair will grow back heavier and darker after dermaplaning. This is not the case. As long as the hair is superficial vellus hair, it will grow back at the same rate and texture as before the treatment. This has been proven as records have been recorded on a regular basis.
Removing epidermal skin also allows products to penetrate more readily into the deeper layers. Physicians may recommend this treatment to prepare the skin for medical procedures such as laser treatments or deep chemical peels. It also may be used by therapists to prepare the skin for superficial chemical peels or before a cleansing facial.
Dermaplaning is most often used for rough, dry skin, mild acne scarring, and fine lines and wrinkles. The treatment results in a more refined, smooth, “glowing” appearance.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS DO I NEED?
This can be a one off treatment for a special occasion and photographic make up to ensure make up sits on the skin flawlessly and lasts longer throughout the day or it can be taken as course to improve rough skin conditions, scarring and lines and wrinkles. These would be taken every 2 to 4 weeks depending on skin type.
WHAT DOES THE TREATMENT INCLUDE?
- The skin is first cleansed and dried to prepare the skin.
- The skin is then exfoliated using a disposable and medical grade scalpel using light feathering strokes to remove the top layer of the skin and the fine velds hair.
- Active serums are massaged into the skin to stimulate new tissue regeneration.
- A skin tightening mask may be applied for additional anti ageing benefits.
- The treatment can be combined with other facials such as microcurrent (CACI) or Environ facials so the active serums can be absorbed more readily and promote healthy new collagen and elastin regeneration for a more youthful complexion.
- Please see our Bronze, Silver, Gold, Rose Gold and Platinum facials for treatments that combine derma planing with other popular skin treatments.